Friday, January 2, 2015

The Big Fix

This morning as I was getting out of bed, I was thinking about how to spend my spa gift card that my mother-in-law and father-in-law gave me for Christmas. Rather than the massage I had planned on, I mentioned to Jerome that I wondered whether a microdermabrasion could get rid of a scar on my nose. Jerome said, "But I don't even notice that scar."

I laughed and said, "That's just because you love me."

His response: "Right. Isn't that what matters?"

How true is that? When we first brought Tadesse home, I noticed the space where his front teeth were missing every time I looked at him. It's funny, though; I hardly notice it anymore. Then again, I love him. I see the crinkly nosed smiles. I see sparkle in his eyes when he is trying really hard to portray toughness. 

Even with something as necessary as missing front teeth, I don't think, Tadesse should really get those fixed. I think, we can fix that.

I'm sure glad that God calls us his children, his beloved. My relationship with my children and my husband do much to illuminate God's love for me.


I believe there are things about myself that I dislike that God shrugs his shoulders at and says, "Tami, I don't see that. I love you and I made you." Still other aspects of myself, perhaps those that go against His plan for me, He still doesn't say, "Wow, Tami, you should fix that." He says, "We can fix that together."


In Paul's letter to the people of Philippi, he says, "I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1: 3-6


In all our resolution making this new year, let's try to discern God's will for our lives. Let's be more accepting of those areas where we are unique and remember that God isn't finished with us in those areas we need to improve.


Happy new year, friends!