Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Lettin' It Go

Every day I wash somewhere around 400 eggs for my son's egg project. Some days I actually find it a relief to go out to the egg washing area, which is nestled in the corner of our machine shed. There I hit shuffle on my favorite iTunes playlist, turn the fan on, and get into the rhythm of feeding the egg washer two and three eggs as I remove the clean eggs with my other hand from another chute. It takes about an hour, and sometimes it is nice just to be alone for that long. When I'm finished, I load the cases of eggs into our commercial-sized refrigerator and return to the noise of  three happy preteen and teen boys.

Today as I was loading the eggs into the fridge, I glanced at the boxes that I had put in there previous days.

Now, when you look at the next picture, you absolutely must hear this Psycho music because I promise that this is the music that played through my head when I saw the eggs.



Yes. My refrigerator has decided it wants to be a FREEZER.

My first thought raced back to the Great Chicken Massacre of 2015, when my dog not only decided chasing chickens was fun, but also that they were delicious.

That day I cried not because I care about chickens. (I know I should, but they still creep me out sometimes.) No, I cried because the 25 chickens that we lost represented a number of kids in Ethiopia who would have been able to eat and stay in school.

But I didn't cry. Not this time. Why? Because I've worried too much, and I have decided to let it go. (Please tell me you clicked that link because...well, the song is so appropriately from Frozen.) Truthfully, that's just part of the reason. (But that was cute, don't you think?)

The truth is that I have worried about the farm economy, I have worried about our chickens getting the bird flu, I have worried about getting the chores done when we are busy, and I have worried about the summer heat getting to the birds. And not one of those worries matters because I choose to have faith that God is behind this project. If He isn't, we would have had a fun time getting eggs from 100 chickens and would have said "That's enough" three years ago. If it wasn't God's plan, we wouldn't still be getting calls and messages from new subscribers, and I certainly wouldn't feel the joy I do when delivering your eggs to you. Most of all, 76 kids would not be benefitting from your donations if God were not behind it.

So today I threw out ten gallons of broken eggs, frozen from my refrigerator's little foray into freezerdom. But I counted my blessings for the 2,340 chilly but still intact (and of course, delicious) eggs that will be enough to meet our subscription numbers tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow your eggs probably won't be in their cool patterns because today I hurriedly repackaged them, minus their cracked-up neighbors. I trust you will enjoy them just the same. And thanks for being on this journey with us, friends.